shieldXL (DIY norns synthesizer kit)
MORE STOCK EXPECTED LATE FEBRUARY
(PCB order delayed by Lunar New Year)
A rework/remix of the monome norns shield - a open-source/DIY shield for Raspberry Pi boards (Pi3B+ and Pi4B), providing hardware compatibility with the norns ecosystem. Originally design by monome. Remixed in spring 2023 by denki-oto.
This is the same norns shield functionality in a different form factor and a few extras.
Please be very aware that shieldXL is not supported by monome in any way. Do not email monome asking for build help, debugging or repairs.
- audio codec: CS4270
- audio jacks: 6.5mm, 2 in and 2 out, line level
- OLED: NHD-2.7-12864WDW3-M (w/ MOLEX connector)
- 3x mech switches (Choc V1 or Cherry MX are supported)
- 3x rotary encoders
- hardware MIDI in/out (TRS)
- TRS MIDI out is switchable between Type-A and Type-B
- TRS MIDI in is auto-sensing (Type-A or Type-B)
- uses the same disk image as the 210330 norns shield
- fully compatible with norns software
base kit includes
- PCB with SMD parts already assembled
- display spacer
- keyswitch spacer pcbs (optional for chocs)
Thru-hole soldering is required
(base kit includes includes pi header, display spacer, choc switch spacers)
- shieldXL PCB base kit
- shieldXL PCB base + AudioJacks/Encoders/Choc Red Switches/Black MBK Keycaps/Black Knobs
- shieldXL PCB w/ All Components (White OLED Display/Audio Jacks/Encoders/Choc Red Switches/MBK Keycaps - Black/Knobs/Standoffs and Screws). This is everything you'll need other than a Pi, SD Card and a case
- shieldXL PCB w/ All Components + SLS Nylon Case
Raspberry Pi Not Included
PCB and acrylic top panels for the case available as optional items.
Note - unfortunately the PCB panels didnt turn out as good as I hoped - they may be imperfect and have small marks or scratches.
3D printed cases will also be available separately.
shieldXL 20230423: This rework/remix is based on the 210330 version of the norns shield. It uses the same disk image as the 210330 shield with the cs4270 codec.
shieldXL 20230615: Same as above with minor silkscreen changes.